Hastings College Mural Day
The annual Hastings College Mural Competition is a day of artistic creation, collaboration and competition for high school students in the beautiful Jackson Dinsdale Art Center (JDAC).
The fourth annual event is set for Wednesday, September, 11, 2019. Registration is now open! (Teachers: Register here and find details below. Please note only one team per school please.)
Each school’s team can consist of 2 to 6 students who will compete against other schools by painting a 46” x 76” vinyl mural according to the theme announced at the beginning of the competition. Please arrive between 9:30 and 9:45 am to register, set up your school’s “painting camp” and get supplies ready for a crazy and creative day of painting!
In addition to the competition portion of the day, Hastings College provides lunch and tours of the JDAC with the opportunity to see Hastings College students at work on projects throughout the building. The day concludes with student scholarship opportunities, judge’s comments and a brief awards ceremony.
- 1st Place — A glass trophy and student art exhibition at the JDAC
- 2nd Place — Glass trophy to be displayed at the winners’ school
- 3rd Place — Glass trophy to be displayed at the winners’ school
2019 Mural Day Details
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2019
Time: Arrive between 9:30 and 9:45 am. The day concludes about 3:15 pm.
Location: Hastings College Jackson Dinsdale Art Center (map)
Register: To register your team, click here. (One team per school, please.)
NOTE: The registration deadline is August 23.
Contact Cara Kimberly at email@example.com or 402.461.7396.
What's provided by Hastings College:
- Each school receives their own set of pint size Blick acrylic paint – primary colors, black and white
- Cups for paint
- Continental breakfast and lunch
- Mural Surface – 46” x 76” vinyl banner with grommets so you can proudly hang it up
in your school
- Plastic to protect the floor
- A hospitality area for teachers and bus drivers
Teams are asked to bring:
- Containers for water
- Sketch paper and pencils
- Paper towels
- Extension cords (Power bar) and hair dryers–if you need to speed the drying time
- Any colors of latex or acrylic paint or supplies not provided
- Chair for teacher to sit in
- Umbrellas to block the sun/sunscreen/hats
- CREATIVE BRAINS!!
Scholarship Opportunities for Seniors
Do you have a talented senior who may major or minor in art and would like to be considered for a Hastings College Art scholarship? Please have them apply to Hastings College — and submit their art portfolio for review online after completing their application. There is no obligation if they apply or receive a scholarship. Seniors only please!
Scholarships will be awarded during the JDAC Mural Competition. The deadline to apply and submit a portfolio is September 3, 2019.
Schedule for Wednesday, September 11
- 9:30-9:45: Register/Check In at the Jackson Dinsdale Art Center
- 10:00: Supplies, Paint and Prep (you will be given these instructions during check-in)
- 10:00 – 10:15 a.m.: Welcome, introductions and rules/procedures
- 10:15 am: Theme announcement (drum roll please!) 🙂
- 10:30 am: Start painting!
- 12:00–12:30 pm: Lunch provided by Hastings College
- 2:30 pm: Paintings completed — turn in for judges to post, clean up your area and load supplies
- 3:00 pm: View Murals, Judges Comments and Awards
- 3:15–3:45 pm: Optional tour and demonstrations at the JDAC