Hastings Honor Band and Choir
The Hastings College Honor Band and Choir are the longest-running high school music honor ensembles sponsored by a college in Nebraska — and features some of the best high school musical talent throughout the region!
The 59th Annual Honor Band and 51st Annual Honor Choir will be held in January 22-23, 2023, at Hastings College! Student check-in begins at 3:00 p.m., Sunday, January 22, and the concert is 5:30 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church (621 N. Lincoln Ave., Hastings) on Monday, January 23. The concert is free and open to the public, and will be livestreamed.
Auditions are open — just click the buttons below!
All audition materials are submitted through each student’s Music Honors application portal.
Music teachers: Each student must create their own audition account within the portal.
- Band and Choir accepts students in grades 10-12
- Audition deadline is Sunday, November 27, 2022
- Honor band and choir auditions can also be used as a Hastings College scholarship audition
Directors for each ensemble are noted below.
Wind and Brass students are asked to record the following:
- Selected portions of a prepared solo or etude (preferably showing contrasting styles),
- Chromatic scale (two octaves when possible).
Percussionists — see the tab below.
Students are encouraged to audition on more than one percussion option.
Percussion auditions should include at least two of the following:
1) Concert Snare Drum Etude or Solo
- Recommended collections include: Peters, Cirone, and Delécluse.
2) Rudimental Etude or Solo (Snare or Tenors)
- Recommended collections include: Freytag, Keown, Pratt, Wilcoxon, and Tompkins.
3) Keyboard (Marimba, Vibraphone, Xylophone, or Glockenspiel; 2- or 4- mallet; memorization is preferred).
- Recommended composers include: Zivkovic, Goldenberg, Koshinski, Green, J.S. Bach, Davila, Abe, Peters, or Stout.
- Recommended collections include: Lepak, Vic Firth, Goodman, and Carroll.
5) Hand Percussion (e.g., West African, Brazilian, Cuban, Middle-Eastern) • Recommended collections include: Sampaio, Keita, Spiro, and Velez.
6) Drumset (unaccompanied solo, solo w/track, or demonstration of 3-4 styles)
- Recommended collections include: Houllif and Thompson.
For questions about percussion auditions at Hastings College, or to schedule a free lesson prior to your audition, please contact Dr. Jed Blodgett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Auditioning for the Hastings College Honor Choir requires preparing TWO singing components.
- The “All-State” Scale for your voice part (B-flat or F major)
- A prepared vocal solo, ideally 2-4 minutes in length. A vocal solo from the classical art song tradition is preferred, but a musical theater solo would also be acceptable
1. Before recording your audition, be sure your recording device is positioned in such a way that it results in a clear, authentic representation of your singing.
2. At the start of the recording, before singing, please let us know who you are by sharing:
a. Your Name (first and last!)
b. Your current year in school (Senior? Junior? Sophomore? Freshman?)
c. Your High School
d. Your Voice Part (SI, SII, AI, AII, TI, TII, BI, BII)
3. Sing the “All-State” Audition Scale that corresponds to your voice type. You may do so with or without the accompanimental recording.
Basses & Altos: B Flat Major
Tenors & Sopranos: F Major
4. Introduce the solo you’re performing: Title and Composer
5. Sing your classical (or musical theater) solo
We look forward to hearing your audition!