Open Space — Performing Arts
Open Space for the Performing Arts is a summer immersion program provided by Hastings College and the College’s Department of Music and Theatre. It’s specifically designed for future college performers that are currently in high school.
Open Space for the Performing Arts is a seven day, six night immersion experience.
The 2021 Open Space will be Sunday, June 6 through Saturday, June 12, 2021 on the Hastings College campus.
The Open Space application is open!
To apply, follow the link below, create an account, select Open Space and begin. Applications are closed for 2021.
What will students experience?
Selected students will participate in a master class experience with Hastings College faculty, focusing on advanced technique and styles within their main area. “Electives” in other areas of the performing arts will help students broaden their experience and gain a more comprehensive understanding of the performing arts. The week culminates with a performance for family, friends and the community.
Students will spend much of their work time in the Scott Studio Theatre, a black box theatre, and the Fuhr Hall of Music. Both facilities are outfitted with the elements necessary for advanced instruction across a multitude of performing arts fields.
- Instrumental (Brass Quintet, Chamber Woodwinds, Percussion)
- Theatre Arts (Acting and Technical)
- Technical theatre
- Musical theatre
- Vocal diction
- Music theory
Amenities included with Open Space for the Performing Arts
- Lodging in Hastings College residence halls
- Instruction and supplies
- Meals and entertainment
Who are we looking for?
The Open Space Performing Arts experience is highly competitive. We are in search of students currently in high school who:
- Have exceptional talent and interest in studying music and/or theatre in college
- Provide necessary audition materials (see below), and supplemental materials as requested
- Good academic standing demonstrated through ACT/SAT and/or GPA scores
- A letter of recommendation from a qualified individual well acquainted with their talent (teacher, counselor, pastor, director, etc.)
For 2021, we will accept 35 students into Open Space for the Performing Arts.
Fees and scholarships
The cost to attend Open Space for the Performing Arts is $250 per person.
This program is valued at more than $1,000. The Jackson Dinsdale Endowment at the Hastings College Foundation has generously granted each student a $750 scholarship for every student selected. No selected student will be turned away due to finances, as financial aid is available to families who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program.
Audition Materials and Requirements
Videos or a digital portfolio and other materials can be uploaded as part of the application.
- Instrumental: A video recorded audition with two selections in contrasting styles.
- Participation is limited to one brass quintet (two trumpets, horn, trombone, tuba) and one mixed woodwind ensemble (any combination).
- For percussion, 2-3 selections showcasing your skills on different instruments (battery, mallets, etc.).
- Piano: A video recorded audition with two selections in contrasting styles, preferably memorized.
- Vocal: A video recorded audition with two memorized selections in contrasting styles.
- Acting: A headshot, resume and a video of two contrasting pieces (off book) — comedy, dramatic or musical theatre. These should be no more than 2 minutes in length per piece (4 minutes total).
- Technical Theatre: Submit a resume and a digital portfolio or 5-8 high resolution photos of technical theatre work.