Each year, Hastings College students spend November recognizing Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Month through a variety of activities focused on local and global hunger issues.
Events are already underway on campus and will culminate on Wednesday, November 20 from 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. in Hazelrigg Student Union (HSU) (705 E. 9th St.) as students pack 2,500 lunches for the Hastings-based Open Table.
The public is invited to assist with this and all other events listed below marked with an asterisk (*).
Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Month 2013
Hygiene Product Drive for Crossroads Rescue Mission*
• From November 1 – 22, donate hygiene products (such as soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, and toothpaste) in boxes around town (in local churches and on campus). Supplies can be dropped off at the front desk at HSU.
Serve Dinners at Crossroads Mission Center
• Friday, Nov. 15 – Thursday, Nov. 21 at Crossroads Mission (702 W. 14th St.) from 3:30- 6 p.m.
• Groups of 10-12 students each night can volunteer to help cook and serve dinner for the residents of Crossroads Mission Center. Volunteers will work 3:30 – 6 p.m.
Kids Against Hunger Meal Packing—Goal to Pack 50,000 Meals!*
• Friday, Nov. 15 from 12 -6 p.m. in HSU Room C
• Volunteers can help to pack 50,000 meals to be sent to those in need around the world.
A Place at the Table and Community Speakers*
• Monday, Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. in Wilson Auditorium (714 E. 9th St.)
• Hear from representatives of Catholic Social Services, Crossroads, & the Open Table in Hastings about their work to fight hunger and homelessness in our community and around the world (30 minutes). Then watch A Place at the Table, a film addressing food insecurity and the issue of hunger in America (84 minutes). If you are unfamiliar with campus and struggling to find the Wilson Center, meet students in front of French Memorial Chapel (800 N. Turner Ave.) at 6:45 p.m.
Open Table Sandwich Making*
• Tuesday, Nov. 19 from 6 -9 p.m. in Barrett Alumni Center (1001 N. 6th Ave.)
• Volunteers can help to make 2,500 sandwiches (equivalent to two per HC student) for the Open Table to help feed the hungry in the community.
Hunger and Homelessness Chapel*
• Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 10 a.m. in French Memorial Chapel
• Join the campus community for a special hunger and homelessness focused chapel service.
Open Table Sack Lunch Packing*
• Wednesday, Nov. 20 from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in HSU Lounge
• Volunteers can help to pack 2,500 lunches (equivalent to 2 per HC student) for Open Table (using the sandwiches made the night before) which go to feed those in need in the community.