Celebration of Excellence Day
Hastings College is celebrating excellence on Tuesday, April 30, 2019, with Academic Showcase and Honors Convocation — a day-long event recognizing high achievement by students and faculty.
During Academic Showcase, students, faculty, staff, parents and community members enjoy and learn from student presentations.
All activities are open to the public, and time is available to ask questions. Classes are cancelled on Tuesday, April 30, so all students have the opportunity to join in.
Abstracts: All Academic Showcase abstracts are available in this .pdf.
See the full schedule below.
Monday, April 29, 2019
7-9pm — Travel & Experiential Learning Presentations
Tuesday, April 30, 2019
9am-3:15pm – Academic Showcase Presentations
3:30pm – Honors Convocation (chapel)
Schedule of Events
Monday, April 29 — Travel and Experiential Learning Presentations
HSU Room C — Emily Herbek: The Essence of Ireland: What It Means to be Irish
HSU Room A/B — Rachel Schmalz: Kennedy in Galway, Ireland
HSU Room C — Anthony Frias: Food and Quebec Culture
HSU Room A/B — Cole Fisher: Great Day Gurus
HSU Room C — Jessica Trad: Environmentalism in Ireland and the United States
Tuesday, April 24 – Celebration of Excellence Day (Academic Showcase and Honors Convocation)
Morrison-Reeves 219 — Alli Kennon: “Victim” or “Survivor?”: Navigating Self-Concept in the Wake of Sexual Violence
Wilson Auditorium — Marc Sisson: The Connection between Career Politicians and Term Limits in State Legislatures
HSU Room C — Zane Eddy: Tourism in the USA
Morrison-Reeves 131 — Robin Pearson: Treating Biopsychosocial Aspects of Student Anxiety Disorders
Morrison-Reeves 219 — Rebecca Riley:The European Union’s Impact on Secession
Wilson Auditorium — Madeline Downie: The Sasquatch Discourse
HSU Room C — Nathan Navratil: Anti-Discrimination Policy: The Symbolic Power of Words
Morrison-Reeves 131 — Austin Heinlein: Ghosts, Folklore, and Tradition, Japan’s national education
Morrison-Reeves 219 — Elizabeth Hansen: Using Oral Histories to Identify Diversity in a Community and Build Bridges across Cultures
Wilson Auditorium — Celeste Borg: Burnout in Young Adults: A Biopsychosocial Analysis
HSU Room C — Jadah Morrison, Melissa Loney: 525600 minutes too late?: An in-text analysis of ‘RENT’
Morrison-Reeves 131 — Rachel Schmalz: Was America Ready for a Black President? Exploring the Impact of the Obama Presidency on the 2016 Election
JDAC — Dany Cook: Boosting Up the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium’s Social Media
Wilson Auditorium — Carly Cremers and Timothy Ellis: The Meaning Behind the Mashups – The Process of Creating a One Act Musical
JDAC — Jake Arnett: Glassblowing Demonstration
JDAC — 3D Lab Demonstrations
1:00-1:45pm in HSU — Academic Excellence on Display (poster session)
- Sarah Johnson: Probiotic E. coli as Contamination Control Surrogates for Pathogenic E. coli
- Bryce Byrn and Jaden Ostrander: College Students Nutrition
- Avery Sears: Make It or Break It: Habits
- Nicole Mundy and Kelbie Lyon: Pain Pills Kill
- Nolan Wandersee: Obesity in the Alaska Native population
- Mandi Hawthorne: From the Heartland to the Emerald Isle: Human Trafficking in the Modern World
- Sophia Pankratz: Utility of Neutrophil-To-Lymphocyte Ratio as a Predictor for Low Bone Density
- Emily Grant: Alignment of teacher knowledge and teacher practices in active-learning biology classrooms
- Jada Daiss: How does one Avida mutation affect another?
- Jenna Jaeger: Analysis of Honey for Heavy Metals Using AAS
- Megan Kaiser: Metagenomics and Its Role in Bovine Respiratory Disease
- Dany Cook and Marc Sisson: Roommate Disclosure
- Samantha Burke: Open Door Policies within Forensics and Beyond
- Cory Liesch, Kaishon McGuire and Tahj Willingham: Whole Body Cryotherapy’s effect on metabolic rate
- Austin Nelson and Nate Miller: The Efficacy of Cupping Therapy and Voodoo Floss on Post-Activity Recovery
- Casey Krolikowski: Efficacy of Various Resting Metabolic Rate Tests to Determine Nutritional Recommendations
Morrison-Reeves 219 — Lyndsay Ruane: Black Holes. Blazars. Battlestar Galactica.
Wilson Auditorium — Walker Hermann: Effective Organizational Change Implementation
HSU Room C — Jordan Ismael: Personal Life and its Influence in Art, How my Work Responds to Narrative
Morrison-Reeves 131 — Carly Spotts-Falzone, Alli Kennon: Shrinking, Unsafe Spaces: the Endangered Lives of Women Journalists
Morrison-Reeves 219 — Greer Anderson: “You Can’t Pick Your Family”: How Birth Order Affects Self-Concept
Wilson Auditorium — Andie Paschal: Gender and Images of the Divine
Morrison-Reeves 131 — Joe Jahn: IceCube South Pole Neutrino Observatory Flasher Documentation
French Memorial Chapel — Honors Convocation
Academic Showcase Day is organized and sponsored by Alpha Chi.