Each year, select Hastings College students plan and implement a multi-day lecture series with the intent of sparking campus discussions on timely topics. Service on the committee, known as the Artist Lecture Series Student Symposium Committee, is considered an honor at the college. The students, with guidance from faculty advisors, are responsible for all aspects of the event, allowing students who excel in the classroom and demonstrate leadership potential to build real-world experience in negotiating with speakers, planning logistics, fundraising, developing communication plans and working as a team.
In preparation for the 2014-2015 symposium on food, the following students have been selected to serve on the Artist Lecture Series Student Symposium Committee:
- Blake Bowland, a junior from Tekamah, Neb.
- Megan Brausam, a junior from Acton, Calif.
- Ellie Clinch, a junior from Lincoln, Neb.
- Anna Griggs, a freshman from Centennial, Colo.
- Mark Gueswell, a freshman from Windsor, Colo.
- Torey Kranau, a sophomore from Blue Hill, Neb.
- Creighton Leif, a junior from Concordia, Kan.
- Isaac Mertens, a sophomore from Juniata, Neb.
- Aaron Pierce, a sophomore from Cozad, Neb.
- Felix Proessl, a sophomore from Weiden, Germany
- Sarabeth Swift, a junior from Grand Island, Neb.
- Abbey Tiell, a freshman from Denver, Colo.
The faculty advisors for the 2014-15 Artist Lecture Series Student Symposium are Dr. Liz Frombgen, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Dr. Douglas Kinnear, Chair of the Business and Economics Department and Professor of Economics.