Open Space — Visual Arts
Open Space for the Visual Arts is a summer art immersion program provided by Hastings College and the College’s Jackson Dinsdale Art Center. It’s specifically designed for future college artists currently completing their junior year of high school.
Open Space for the Visual Arts is a seven day, six night art immersion experience.
Open Space 2022 will be Sunday, June 12 through Saturday, June 18, 2022 on the Hastings College campus.
To apply, follow the link below, create an account, select Open Space and begin. Applications are open.
What will students experience?
Selected students will gain hands-on experience in a range of art mediums, plus meet Hastings College faculty, through which they’ll discover opportunities about a career in art. The experience is held at the world-class Jackson Dinsdale Art Center (JDAC) on the campus of Hastings College in Hastings, Nebraska.
Open Space curriculum is led by renowned Hastings College art faculty and explores:
- Daily intensive studio experiences with Hastings College faculty
- Electives that give students an opportunity to explore other areas in the arts
Days will be filled with hands-on applied learning, as well as individual time to create in various JDAC art studios.
Amenities included with Open Space
- Lodging in Hastings College residence halls
- Instruction and art supplies
- Meals and entertainment
Who are we looking for?
We are in search of current high school juniors who:
- Have a high level of artistic talent and interest in studying art in college
- Have a digital portfolio to submit that includes 5-8 high-resolution photos of their work
- Good academic standing demonstrated through GPA or ACT/SAT scores.
- A letter of recommendation from an art teacher
For 2022, we will accept 35 students into Open Space.
Fees and Scholarships
The cost to attend Open Space is $250 per person.
This program is valued at more than $1,000. The Jackson Dinsdale Endowment at the Hastings College Foundation has generously granted each student a $750 scholarship for every student selected. No selected student will be turned away due to finances, as financial aid is available to families who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program.
“Creativity can grow anywhere, but having great instructors and equipment can be a spark to really advance that growth. The Jackson Dinsdale Art Center at Hastings College is the place with the instructors, equipment and technology to be that spark!” – Ree and Jun Kaneko