Open Space for the Visual Arts
Open Space for the Visual Arts is a summer art immersion program provided by Hastings College and the College’s Jackson Dinsdale Art Center. It’s specifically designed for future college artists currently completing their junior year of high school.
Open Space for the Visual Arts is a five day, four night art immersion experience.
Open Space is Tuesday, June 18 through Saturday, June 22, 2024 on the Hastings College campus.
To apply, follow the link below, create an account, select Open Space and begin. Applications are due March 25.
The application is open!
What will students experience?
Selected students will gain hands-on experience in a range of art mediums, plus meet Hastings College faculty, through which they’ll discover opportunities about a career in art. The experience is held at the world-class Jackson Dinsdale Art Center (JDAC) on the campus of Hastings College in Hastings, Nebraska.
Open Space curriculum is led by renowned Hastings College art faculty and explores:
- Screen Printing
- Daily intensive studio experiences with Hastings College faculty and alumni
Days will be filled with hands-on applied learning, as well as individual time to create in various JDAC art studios.
Amenities included with Open Space
- Lodging in Hastings College residence halls
- Instruction and art supplies
- Meals and entertainment
Who are we looking for?
We are in search of current high school juniors who:
- Have a high level of artistic talent and interest in studying art in college
- Have a digital portfolio to submit that includes 5-8 high-resolution photos of their work
- Good academic standing demonstrated through GPA or test scores.
- Optional: A letter of recommendation from an art teacher is optional to submit your application and be considered, although we may request a letter at later date
Fees and Scholarships
The cost to attend Open Space is $250 per person.
This program is valued at more than $1,000. The Jackson Dinsdale Endowment at the Hastings College Foundation has generously granted each student a $750 scholarship for every student selected. No selected student will be turned away due to finances, as financial aid is available to families who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program.
“Creativity can grow anywhere, but having great instructors and equipment can be a spark to really advance that growth. The Jackson Dinsdale Art Center at Hastings College is the place with the instructors, equipment and technology to be that spark!” – Ree and Jun Kaneko