Can Hastings College students, faculty and staff along with members of local communities pack 75,000 meals one day? Join in and find out on Friday, November 13 from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. in Hazelrigg Student Union (HSU) Rooms A&B (705 E. 9th St.) in a Kids Against Hunger event held in conjunction with Hastings College’s annual Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week. Volunteers can sign up for hour-long shifts at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1z5zeFRcpPmfQ8Vy7kv7CHdXlZOjMvDX5zQjdZkWYgy0/viewform?usp=send_form#start=openform.
This is only one of the activities scheduled from November 13-18, 2015. Students have organized the events to make the campus and surrounding communities aware about food and housing insecurity locally and globally.
Unless otherwise noted, participation in the events is free. The activities are open to the public.
Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week 2015 Schedule
Kids Against Hunger Meal Packing: Goal to pack 75,000 meals
• Friday, November 13th, 10 am – 7 pm, Hazelrigg Student Union (HSU) Rooms A&B (705 E. 9th St.)
• Volunteers can sign up for hour long shifts to help pack 75,000 meals to be sent to those in need in Hastings and around the world.
Resource Scavenger Hunt
• Saturday, November 14th, 1 pm – 3 pm, Fleharty Educational Center 144 (800 E. 12th St.)
• Teams will take part in a scavenger hunt around Hastings to learn about the services offered in Hastings to those facing hunger and homelessness. A reflection trivia game will follow. Prizes will be given to winning teams.
• Each team will need a car and driver.
Food4Thought/HHAW Carnival and Obstacle Course
• Sunday, November 15th, 2 pm – 5 pm, Physical Fitness Facility (903 E. 9th St.)
• The event will feature a Mario Kart-themed obstacle and carnival games.
• Admission is $5. Proceeds go to support both Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week and Food4Thought.
Open Table Sandwich Making: Goal to make 2,500 sandwiches
• Tuesday, November 17th, 6 pm – 9 pm, Daugherty Center (716 N. Turner Ave.)
• Volunteers can sign up for half hour long shifts to make sandwiches for the Open Table to help feed the hungry in our community.
Hunger and Homelessness Focused Chapel
• Wednesday, November 18th, 10 am, French Memorial Chapel (800 N. Turner Ave.)
• Join us for a special hunger and homelessness focused chapel service.
Open Table Sack Lunch Packing: Goal to pack 2,500 lunches
• Wednesday, November 18th, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm, HSU Lobby
• Volunteers can help pack sack lunches for the Open Table, using the sandwiches made Tuesday night, to feed the hungry in Hastings.