Looking to go further as an educator? Or become an educator after working in another or related field? Then be sure to check our our Masters of Arts in Teaching Program!
The aim of this Hastings College graduate program is to prepare you for classroom teaching in elementary and secondary schools. The primary purpose is for initial teacher certification for:
- People with a baccalaureate degree but no professional education who would like to prepare to teach, or
- Certified and practicing teachers who seek to enhance their professional skills, add an endorsement area or renew their certificate.
- Completed application form (.pdf) and $50 matriculation fee (waived for Hastings College graduates).
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities.
- 2.5 overall GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- State of Nebraska required ETS Core Academic Skills Test (or PRAXIS I). Scores showing passage from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) office received in the education department.
- Two references from school administrators or college professors.
- Personal interview required at the discretion of the department in which the major area of study is to be taken.
General Degree Requirements
- 33 semester hours of graduate credit (program may include additional courses that are required for certification).
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Culminating experience presentation.
- Completion of a digital portfolio.
- Completion of all work for the degree within a five-year period. In exceptional circumstances, a one-year extension may be granted.
- Passing scores on Praxis II Content Test required for teacher certification.
- View our MAT Catalog (.pdf).