Hastings College believes that there are strong reasons for including professional teacher education within the framework of its liberal arts program. Hastings College is accredited to offer programs in education by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and by the Nebraska State Department of Education. Programs are offered to prepare students for teacher certification at both the elementary and secondary levels.
Students may also choose to participate in the department's fifth year graduate program and receive a Master of Arts in Teaching degree (MAT).
Strengths of the Program
- Thinking about teaching as a career? We offer first-year education courses with a field experience that places students in an elementary or high school classroom. This early contact helps to determine if teaching is the right career path.
- Students will benefit from superior, personalized instruction in small classes with experienced professors. Professional education programs are field-based and emphasize effective performance that will be gained through extensive field experience, including more than 800 hours of on-site laboratory, clinical and student teaching experiences.
- Graduates of the program will have support beyond graduation through personal visits, alumni gatherings, and our newsletter.
- Students are encouraged to seek at least two endorsement areas from the many we offer. Supplemental endorsements are offered in coaching, early childhood, speech, theatre, journalism and media, and English as a Second Language.
- Coaching endorsement is not just limited to education majors. The program is open to all students who want to be a qualified coach.
- Special study trips include Chicago, the Rosebud Indian Reservation and Belize.
- Our active Student Education Association is a great way to seek support and meet other future educators.
We invite you to contact us for more information and to visit our campus.
Please contact Dr. Kathryn (Kass) Rempp, chair of the department at email@example.com or 402.461.7426.