IT Data Support / Business Intelligence Analyst
January 1, 2012
Chief Information Officer
Responsible for enterprise-wide data administration of the college’s Datamart, verifying accuracy of data, and ensuring the general availability for reporting needs. Responsibilities include data management, data security, batch job management, purge management, and database upgrades. In addition, this position has the overall responsibility for supporting end user reporting, creating complex custom reports, special ad-hoc reports, department dashboards, and scorecards. Accountable for data or report solutions, including all phases of development beginning with initial analysis through implementation. Ability to capture customer requirements and translate them into design documents that lead to the delivery of reports and dashboards. Possess essential process and technical skills necessary to support individual customer needs. Works closely with other members of the Information Technology (IT) team to deliver complete business solutions.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Create, Develop, and Document Procedures for Integrating data to Reports, including but not limited to:
- Create a centralized location for storing reports, which is easily assessable by individuals within the college. Document procedural instructions to support the utilization of reports and dashboards. Integrate data from other sources into SSRS and reports. Plan, develop and create reports on SQL Server databases using SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
- Develop and maintain custom business reports, dashboards, scorecards, special ad-hoc reports, and data feeds across the enterprise using the college’s standard business intelligence (BI) reporting platform.
Administer Data by Analyzing for Recommendations and Anomalies. Assist with Development, Architecture, Maintenance and Enhancement of Security, Roadmaps, Databases, and Data Cubes, including but not limited to:
- Create and analyze data to provide recommendation and best practices to achieve higher data integrity. Analyze data to identify anomalies and/or trends that will aid in driving key initiatives linked to business goals.
- Assist with the development of a security model to support sharing of the datamart and/or data cubes. Assist in the architecture and delivery of a Business Intelligence roadmap. Assist in maintaining and enhancing database performance.
- Provide information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing database performance and trends
- Develop and maintain data cubes when necessary and develop customer calculations in cubes using MDX (multi-dimensional expressions) or other appropriate methods. Develop KPI's and drill through actions to enhance the capability of the cube.
- Develop required processes using appropriate methods including but not limited to stored procedures, tables, indexes, views and any other needed database objects to support processes and datamart solution to ensure reporting performance and data availability meet business expectations.
- Follow policies and procedures for promoting code between application environments.
Provide Customers with Support, Training, and a Positive IT Experience, including but not limited to:
- Provide support and/or training to the organization on published reports and dashboards.
- Perform support and maintenance of production solutions, including on-call support outside of “normal” working hours.
- Communicate frequently with customers to clarify and resolve reporting and data issues.
- Educate and advise internal customers on how to leverage available data, reports, and tools.
- Maintain customer confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential.
General department duties including, but not limited to:
- Maintain a strong understanding of business metrics is required to deliver effective solutions.
- Contribute to the team effort by communicating project status and time allocation on a regular basis.
- Prepare and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Collaborate with other members of the IT department to identify and develop BI solutions.
- Ability to work with vendors and third party service to meet the needs of the college’s technical environment.
- Learn to use/operate any new job related programs and equipment. Participate in designated meetings and mandatory trainings.
- Consistently model a high degree of customer service and student focus. Work collaboratively and support other team members.
- Professionally represent Hastings College at all times.
All other duties as assigned.
Bachelor degree in computer related study.
- 4+ years of formal experience and appropriate certification
- 3+ years' experience with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) with an understanding of report development, publications and distribution.
- Exposure to current SQL Server, MS Analysis Services.
- Strong knowledge of Relational Database programming concepts and Dimensional Data Programming concepts.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of concepts and technologies inherent to working with applications based on Microsoft SQL Server.
- Ability to write select statements against SQL database.
- Good understanding of risks involved with running queries on production systems.
- High attention to detail and adherence to established processes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Transact (T-SQL) and Mutlidemensional Expressions (MDX).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and knowledge to adapt and learn quickly in a changing environment.
- Desire to succeed, grow skill sets, and a positive attitude.
- The ability to communicate in a pleasant and efficient manner with people at all levels at the college.
- Methodical approach to problem solving using appropriate tools.
- Strong negotiation skills with vendors and third party providers.
- Self-starter/self-motivated, capable of staying on track and pursuing solutions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate information in business terms.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must have knowledge of Microsoft Office products, other software utilized at the college, and equipment.
- Must be able to work with a sense of urgency and be well organized.
- Must be able to establish and maintain good working relationships with user departments, peers and supervision.
- Requires an understanding of the college’s business functions and work processes to support customer issues.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment that includes telephones, PCs, printers, calculators, copy and fax machines.
Licensure or Certification:
Valid Nebraska driver’s license with acceptable driving record or State or Federal issued form of Identification.
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities including close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Extended viewing of computer monitors throughout the work period.
- Ability to lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to sit for long periods.
- Stooping, kneeling and bending.
- Ability to hear and understand over the telephone.
- Generally temperature-controlled environment.
- Occasionally outside or in a non-temperature controlled environment.
- Low to moderate noise.
- May receive requests with simultaneous deadlines from various staff and/or customers.
- Frequent interruptions.
- Reliable transportation.
- Regular and Predictable Attendance.
- Ability to pass required background checks.
- Dress appropriately for work demands.
- Maintain standards for personal grooming and hygiene.
- Achieves Results/Has bias for Action – Achieves stretch results. A strong bias for action with sense of urgency and high energy. Practices collaborative working environment to achieve more.
- Attitude – That is positive, sincere, and trustworthy. Maintain a strong work ethic and encourage others to do the same. Never let up on quality and doing the right thing that is in the best interest of college and students.
- Customer Focus – Has ability to look from customer’s view. Viewed as a partner by the customer. Anticipate customer needs to ensure no barriers to doing business at the Hastings College.
- Uses Effective Communication Skills – Candid, clear and concise in communication. Effectively matches style, tone and method to audience. Connects with intended audience. Manages communication and feedback within the organization.
- Displays Leadership/Team Orientation – Works collaboratively to achieve organization’s success. Effectively uses position and interpersonal skills, mobilizes and inspires others to take action (situational leadership).
- Technical Skills – Holds self and others to high standards. Strives to stay ahead of technical expertise, is proactive and inspires others to stay current in areas of technical expertise.
Submit application and cover letter to:
Director of Human Resources
710 N. Turner Ave.
Hastings, NE 68901
or to email@example.com