Areas of Study
» Non-Major Participation
» HC Majors in Music
» Minor in Music
» Christian Ministry Minor
» Personalized Program
» Explore Careers in Music
» Course Descriptions
Faculty & Staff
Calendar of Events
Handbooks & Forms
Apply for Admission
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Meet Your Admissions Counselor
Return to All Majors & Minors
Each spring at Commencement, Hastings College confers just two kinds of undergraduate degrees. The first is the degree Bachelor of Arts (BA) in a wide array of academic disciplines including Music. The second is the degree Bachelor of Music (BM) in several areas of professional music specialization. At HC you can earn either or both of those degrees. It is also possible for you to graduate with a combination of a degree in Music and another Hastings College degree, or to have achieved a Minor in Music to enhance another major, or even to have created your own Personalized Program in Music. The specifics are detailed in the current Hastings College Catalog, but for an overview of our nationally-accredited HC Music Degrees, follow these links:
Bachelor of Music (BM) in Education:
- Your passion in Music is teaching: elementary, middle school, or high school; band or choir or general music; or a combination of any or all of these. Follow this link to see if one or more of the options in the degree Bachelor of Music in Education is for you!
Bachelor of Music (BM) in Performance:
- You aspire to use your talent in Music as a performer: classical or popular; vocal or instrumental; on the local, regional, or international stage. Follow this link to discover the ways the degree Bachelor of Music in Performance may be the right fit for you!
Bachelor of Music (BM) in Piano Pedagogy:
- You find joy and fulfillment in the one-on-one interaction of teaching Music in a private studio: perhaps in your home, or in an after-school program, or in a conservatory setting. Follow this link to see if the degree Bachelor of Music in Piano Pedagogy is for you!
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music:
- You love music and want to learn more, but neither teaching nor performing describes how you want to include music in your life: you want to discover ways to combine your passion for music with your other interests and aspirations. Follow this link to see how the degree Bachelor of Arts in Music might be a perfect match for you!
Minor in Music:
- You may not want to major in music, but you would like your college credentials to reflect your continuing serious interest: just for instance, graduate schools in sciences and related health fields find undergraduate Music study to be an attractive additional qualification for admission. You may discover that a Minor in Music is for you! (You might also want to check out the Religion Department's Christian Ministry Minor with an emphasis in Sacred Music.)
Personalized Degree Program with an emphasis in Music:
- Perhaps you haven't yet found a Music degree description that matches your particular passion: check out the seemingly endless possibilities of a Personalized Program at Hastings College!
Continue to Investigate Your Options:
As you can see, when it comes to studying music, at Hastings College you've got a world of options -- all with Music at the core! You might find it helpful to look over our partial list of potential careers in music. If it all feels a bit overwhelming, don't worry, we have an excellent, student-centered program of expert advocates and music advisors who will help you in planning your curriculum. You'll certainly want to confer with the Chairman of the Music Department, Dr. Robin Koozer, and with your HC advocate-advisor early in the process of electing your specific program of music study. They'll be happy to offer guidance, and to share their insights and expertise.
And if you just can't make up your mind, we want to introduce you to a great HC resource, the Office of Career Services. Follow this link for a glimpse of the many College Major & Career Exploration Resources available to Hastings College students.
The Next Step for Prospective Students:
Thanks for your interest in Music at Hastings College. We can't wait to meet you! First, just to be sure you are "on our radar," please fill out our brief online Music Survey. Next, find and meet your personal HC Admissions Counselor. Most important, Apply for Admission online – it's free (and your admission application is your scholarship application). We'll look forward to hearing from you!