The Kessler and Thom Scholarships are open to students based on superior academic achievement and outstanding potential for Christian leadership. Six $6,000 scholarships are available and in combination with other scholarships, may not exceed full tuition.
Kessler and Thom Scholars must participate in the Christian Ministry Program, take an active role in its leadership and promotion and declare a minor in Christian Ministry.
Deadline extended to January 18, 2013
Requirements for the Kessler/Thom Scholarships:
- Apply and complete all admission requirements
- Provide a resume of your activities and involvement (include school, church and community)
- Provide a letter of recommendation (preferably from a pastor, priest or other religious leader) addressing your personal qualifications and record of church.
- Complete a Kessler/Thom application
- Write a 750-word essay with your response to ONE of the following topics:
- Share a story about an important time of faith or service in your life and describe how that may have shaped your own sense of ministry. Conclude your essay with a reflection on what you hope to offer the Christian Ministry Program at Hastings College.
- Share a story about when you’ve had a conversation with someone whose faith commitments were different from yours and how this conversation may have informed or shaped your faith. Conclude your essay with a reflection on what you hope to offer the Christian Ministry Program at Hastings College.
- What does ‘Church’ mean to you and describe how or if it has a relationship for you between faith and service. Conclude your essay with a reflection on what you hope to offer the Christian Ministry Program at Hastings College.
All students must complete the following courses for the Christian Ministry minor:
- Rel 225: Hebrew Bible (4 hours, first year)
- Rel 235: New Testament (4 hours, first year)
- Rel 245: Introduction to the Christian Tradition (4 hours)
or Rel 385: Contemporary Christian Theology (4 hours)
or Rel 387: The Roman Catholic Tradition (4 hours)
or another theology class approved by the Director of Christian Ministry.
- Rel 405: Church Leadership: Preaching, Worship, Polity, and Program (4 hours)
- Rel 490: Student Ministry Practicum (3 hours, third or fourth year)
- Rel 480: Seminar on the Nature of Christian Ministry (1 hour)
- Rel 406: Christian Education and Youth Ministry (4 hours)
- Rel 403: Counseling Theories and Process (1 hour, taken concurrently with Psy 333)
- Rel 402: A Survey of Sacred Music (3 hours, Interim; students specializing in Music Ministry must take Religion 402 and one other hour of relevant Music Department credit approved by the Director of Christian Ministry.)
- Hum 230: Being, Doing, Knowing: Service Learning OR Hum 392: Service Learning Interim Trips. Students opting for HUM 392 must also register for REL 407:Social Justice, Mission and ministry.
(All course descriptions may be found in the Hastings College Catalog.)
In addition to these requirements, Kessler & Thom Scholars must maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average.
In addition to fulfilling all the requirements for the Christian Ministry minor, Kessler & Thom Scholars will be expected to:
- Serve in a Christian leadership position beginning sophomore year (to be negotiated with the Director of Christian ministry);
- Attend local worship on a regular basis and participate in worship leadership at least once a year (as liturgist, musician, etc.);
- Live in College housing all four years of their college experience;
- Participate in at least one retreat or conference each year. Juniors and Seniors will be expected to help plan and lead at least one opportunity each year (location to be negotiated);
- Participate regularly in the life of a local congregation of their choosing;
- Read each year during the summer months a text on Christian Vocation, to be discussed with other Kessler & Thom Scholars in a welcoming workshop held just prior to the beginning of each school year; and,
- Help promote the Christian Ministry Program on selected admission trips.