AP/IB Transfer Policies
Apply For Admission
Majors & Minors
Meet Your Counselors
New Student Days 2013
Pay Your Deposit
Transfer and Adult Students
Tuition & Fees
Our student to faculty ratio is 12:1, guaranteeing every student close interaction with highly qualified faculty.
Hastings College boasts three Nebraska Professors of the Year. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching honored religion professor Dr. Daniel Deffenbaugh in 2005, sociology department chair Dr. James Wiest in 2002 and business professor Roger Doerr in 1995.
85% of our faculty are full time and 89% of tenured or tenure track faculty have terminal degrees. This means our students have personal access to knowledgeable faculty with superb teaching skills.
66% of classes have 20 or fewer students. Personal attention is a hallmark of the Hastings College experience.
Our national caliber professors come from some of the finest graduate programs across the country including Harvard, Duke, Princeton, Notre Dame, Rice, Purdue, Syracuse, Cal Tech and Vanderbilt.
Our faculty’s commitment to students begins even before they enroll at Hastings College. In 2005-06 full-time professors met with prospective students and their parents 1,646 times, an average 20 visits per faculty member.
44% of full-time professors have taught at Hastings College 10 years or longer. 37% have taught here 15 years or longer. This longevity speaks volumes about the quality of our academic environment.
87% of full-time faculty hired since 2000 still teach at Hastings College, which means top-notch professors enjoy working here and choose to stay.
In the recent Noel Levitz Student Satisfaction Inventory, Hastings College students expressed greater satisfaction, at statistically significant levels, than did students from a national comparison group on the 10 items our students consider “most important”:
- The instruction in my major field is excellent.
- My academic advisor is approachable.
- The content of the courses within my major is valuable.
- My academic adviser is knowledgeable about requirements in my major.
- Nearly all of the faculty are knowledgeable in their field.
- The quality of instruction I receive in most of my classes is excellent.
- It is an enjoyable experience to be a student on this campus.
- I am able to register for classes I need with few conflicts.
- Tuition paid is a worthwhile investment.
- My academic advisor is concerned about my success as an individual.
Notable Quotes About Our Superb Faculty
“Hastings’s small size is its strength: Students receive individualized attention in their studies right from the start.”
- Kaplan’s Unofficial, Unbiased Guide to the 331 Most Interesting Colleges
“Says a junior: ‘The faculty perform so well because they are progressive active learners themselves.’”
- Barron’s Best Buys in College Education
“The college has made a conscious decision to focus its resources on the traditional liberal arts and not to expand into other sites or distance or web based education. The faculty are very dedicated and willing to take on a heavy teaching load of 27 semester credits per year to enhance this mission. Faculty members believe that a commitment to teaching is the college’s most important value…”
- 2005 Evaluation Team from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. (North Central re-accredited Hastings College for the maximum 10-year period in 2005.)
“[Hastings’s] team of dedicated and demanding faculty members…’really push their students to be the best,’ notes a double major. ‘They will not accept poor performance. If someone is in danger of failing a course, the professor usually meets with the person individually and takes time to find a way for improvement.’”
- Barron’s Best Buys in College Education
“Our professors are awesome…You can get in touch with almost all of them at any time you desire.”
- HC student quoted in Kaplan’s Unofficial, Unbiased Guide to the 331 Most Interesting Colleges
“My career as a U.S. Astronaut requires that I possess a myriad of skills, that I be capable of performing an enormous variety of tasks. I truly believe my ability to perform these spaceflight endeavors is enhanced by the well-rounded educational experience I received while a Bronco. The focus and dedication of the faculty and staff are unsurpassed..."
- Alumnus Clayton Anderson, NASA Astronaut (Clay will travel aboard Space Shuttle Endeavour to the International Space Station in June 2007.)