The mission of the Psychology Department at Hastings College is to promote intellectual and personal growth, and to promote living effectively in the global community.
Specifically, the departments’ academic curriculum and co-curricular activities will help students...
- acquire a broad base of knowledge regarding human behavior and mental processes,
- acquire the intellectual tools, problem-solving abilities, and communication skills necessary to contribute to psychological science and the well-being of society in general, and
- develop characteristics that encourage creativity, curiosity, change, and responsible citizenship.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the goals, methods of knowing, areas of study, and assumptions that characterize the field
- Demonstrate an awareness of the various psychological schools of thought and be able to compare/contrast them
- Demonstrate an understanding of the career options available to graduates and ways of obtaining these positions
- Demonstrate critical thinking in evaluating and designing research
- Demonstrate effective use of technology in navigating the body of psychological knowledge and in designing research
- Demonstrate effectiveness in communicating orally and in writing with the scientific community and the general public about psychological principles, theories, and findings
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with others to achieve group goals
- Demonstrate the development of self-awareness in interpersonal and intrapersonal domains
- Demonstrate concern for and action towards social justice