The aim of the graduate program at Hastings College is to prepare students for classroom teaching in elementary and secondary schools. The primary purpose is for initial teacher certification for:
- People with a baccalaureate degree but no professional education who would like to prepare to teach.
- Certified and practicing teachers who seek to enhance their professional skills, add an endorsement area or renew their certificate.
- Completed application form and $50 matriculation fee (waived for Hastings College graduates).
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities.
- 2.5 overall GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- State of Nebraska required PRAXIS I (PPST). Scores showing passage from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) office received in the education department.
- Two references from school administrators or college professors.
- Personal interview required at the discretion of the department in which the major area of study is to be taken.
General Degree Requirements
- 33 semester hours of graduate credit (program may include additional courses that are required for certification).
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- The passing of one or a combination of the following:
- A written comprehensive examination in the student's area of concentration
- An oral presentation
- A thesis
- Completion of a digital portfolio.
- Completion of all work for the degree within a five-year period. In exceptional circumstances, a one-year extension may be granted.