Since the beginning of the College in 1882, we have established an enviable reputation throughout the Midwest for our quality programs, dedicated faculty, and talented students. We offer countless opportunities for you to use your talents and skills to make an impact. Our flexibility is designed to meet your individual aspirations.
- Quality. Our program is nationally recognized for quality. Any school can put together a music degree, but Hastings College is, and has been since 1948, accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. Our NASM accreditation for exceeding benchmark quality benefits all students; not least if you aspire to pursue graduate studies in the music field.
- Breadth. We'll fully prepare you to explore the many different paths your future might bring. Hastings College grants two music degrees, Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music, with multiple options in Education; Performance; Piano Pedagogy; Music History, Literature, and Theory; Collaborative Piano; and Sacred Music. In addition, students may earn a Minor in Music or design a Personalized Degree Program with an emphasis in Music Business, Technology, Arts Management, Music Theatre, and Music Therapy, among others.
- Prestige. The designation All Steinway School places Hastings College in an elite company of prestigious music schools worldwide to be recognized for excellence in programs and facilities. Our well-maintained Steinway pianos are intended for daily use specifically by our students.
- Value. You don't have to pay a penalty for your unique passion. Hastings College imposes no extra music fees above basic tuition for music majors, private lessons, or ensemble participation.
- Supportive. We encourage you to continue using all your skills. All students, both music majors and non-majors, may participate in both instrumental and choral ensembles concurrently.
- Practical. Exciting, innovative programs enhance the breadth and depth of our course offerings. These include J-term adventures, personalized degree plans, handbells, practical experience in accompanying, student-led ensembles, and an all-college marching band.
- Collaborative. You'll learn and grow alongside the best-of-the-best. The Hastings College Music Department is a place where students and faculty study and perform together in a spirit of collegiality and respect. In a word, music is important at Hastings College; in any given semester, nearly one-third of the HC student body may be involved in music classes, ensembles, and activities.
- Personal. As a student, you'll benefit from superior, personalized instruction individually and in small classes with talented, caring, experienced professors.
- A place for you to belong. The Department is housed in the Hayes M. Fuhr Hall of Music. The building includes classrooms, student practice rooms, dedicated rehearsal rooms for instrumental and vocal music, faculty teaching studios, an acoustically-perfect performance hall, and a priceless inventory of historic and world-class instruments.
Thanks for your interest in Music at Hastings College. We can't wait to meet you! First, just to be sure you are "on our radar," please fill out our brief online Music Survey. Next, find and meet your personal HC Admissions Counselor. Most important, Apply for Admission online – it's free (and your admission application is your scholarship application). We'll look forward to hearing from you!