Hastings College Names 15th President
The Hastings College Board of Trustees is pleased to announce Mr. Dennis Trotter has been chosen as the 15th president of Hastings College. After an extensive nationwide search, Trotter was selected from over 100 well-qualified individuals who showed an interest in the post being vacated by retiring president, Dr. Phil Dudley. Trotter comes to Hastings College from Pitzer College (CA), where he has served as vice president for college advancement since 2008. He also has served as vice president for enrollment management and marketing/dean of admission at Franklin and Marshall College (PA) and chief admission officer at Coe College (IA), St. Martin’s College (WA) and Sheldon Jackson College (AK). After receiving his undergraduate degree from Whitworth College (WA), Mr. Trotter went on to receive an MBA from the University of Iowa and is currently working toward the completion of his Ph.D. at the Claremont Graduate University’s School of Education Studies with an emphasis in Higher Education Leadership. Trotter and his spouse, Trina Johnsten, have three children. To view a video of the announcement, click here.
Alumni Giving – Help HC Top 30%
With the fiscal year end of June 30 drawing closer, Hastings College is well on its way to returning its alumni giving percentage to over 30% - but it is not there yet. With only four months remaining, the current alumni giving percentage is 21%. Many alumni often ask if their gift of $5, $15 or $50 really makes a difference to the college, and the answer is always yes! Whether you choose to support the annual fund, a specific scholarship or a student group, your gift is making it possible for the current generation of Hastings College students to receive the same life-changing education that you received while you were a student. As you think back on your education and time spent at Hastings College, please consider a gift your alma mater - a gift of any size to any fund counts towards the alumni giving percentage. Your gift will keep Hastings College strong for generations to come. To make a difference today, you can make your gift online at www.hastings.edu/give or you can mail your gift to the Hastings College Foundation.
Alumni Legacy Brick Project
When you graduated from Hastings College, you may have left your dorm rooms, the dining hall and classrooms behind, but as an alumnus, you still have a home at Hastings College in the Barrett Alumni Center. You have the opportunity to create a lasting legacy at your alma mater by purchasing a brick or flagstone as a part of the Legacy Brick Project. These bricks, purchased by alumni, friends and family, line the entrance to the Barrett Alumni Center and create a lasting tribute to times spent at Hastings College. If you are interested in purchasing a brick or flagstone, click here or contact Matt Fong at (800) 775-2585.
Hastings College on the Road
The Hastings College Alumni Association will be on the road over the next few months and stopping at several locations throughout the country. Mark your calendar and plan to attend the events in these areas:
- Scottsdale, Arizona: Hastings College Trustees Cal Johnson and Bill Marshall invite friends of Hastings College to an evening reception in the Scottsdale area on March 10, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. More…
- Southern California: The Alumni Association will be in Southern California for a number of events during its 29th Annual Southern California Alumni Reunion from March 10 - 12. More…
- Colorado Springs, Colorado: As part of Hastings College’s newly launched Colorado growth initiatives, the Alumni Association and Admissions Office invite alumni to a Colorado Springs area lunch on March 17 – 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., at the Ritz Restaurant to learn about recruiting efforts in Colorado, hear updates about the College, and network with fellow alumni. More…
- Kearney, Nebraska: Join members of the Hastings College Forensics Team for an After Hours event as they gather in Kearney for the National Forensics Tournament on March 31, 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. More…
- Denver, Colorado: Join the Hastings College Alumni Association and Admissions Office for a Denver Area After Hours at the Celtic Tavern in Downtown Denver on April 14, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. More…
- Loveland/Greeley, Colorado: Join the Hastings College Alumni Association and Admissions Office for a Loveland/Greeley Area After Hours at Rockbottom Brewery in Loveland on Thursday, May 19, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. More…
- Boulder, Colorado: Plan to join Hastings College for Memorial Day Weekend at the 2011 Bolder Boulder. Details are being finalized, but you can register for the race at www.bolderboulder.com. Tentative plans include a reserved section at the pre-race Pasta Pasta dinner and an alumni gathering following the race.
To see a full listing of all upcoming alumni events, visit www.hastings.edu/alumnievents.
Giving Back – Hiring an HC Student
Alumni often ask, how can I give back to Hastings College? A unique way that benefits the College, its students and you is by offering internships or hiring Hastings College students. With summer quickly approaching, current students are preparing to disperse across the country. Many of them are looking to gain real world experience in the workplace. If you would like to help make these experiences available to current Hastings College students or soon to be graduates contact Kim Graviette in the Career Services Office at (402) 461-7387.
The Ringland Society – Your Questions Answered
The Hastings College Ringland Society is a special group of alumni and friends who have chosen to leave a permanent legacy to Hastings College. Continuing from last month, the Hastings College Foundation will feature a series of articles that answer some of the most common questions received about the Ringland Society. If you have suggestions for future questions to be answered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also read more about planned giving at the Hastings College Planned Giving website.
| ||What is planned giving? |
Planned giving is a way for you to create a lasting legacy at Hastings College while at the same time offering several opportunities to meet your life-long financial goals. Unlike outright cash donations, planned gifts typically are allocated to Hastings College through your estate and come to fruition upon your death. A common misconception is that planned giving is only for those in higher wealth brackets, but the truth is, even those with modest means can make a significant impact through such planned giving tools as a partial beneficiary of a life insurance policy or a simple bequest in your will. If you would like to learn more about planned giving, please contact a financial advisor or Mike Karloff at (800) 775-2585. You can also learn more about planned giving at the Hastings College Planned Giving Website.
- The Hastings College Golf Team will host a pancake feed and silent auction at the Barrett Alumni Center on Sunday, March 6 from 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The Department of Music will host the Young Men in Harmony workshop on Monday, March 7, culminating in a 7:30 p.m. concert in the French Memorial Chapel. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- Dr. Karma Chavez ’00, will speak on campus at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 9 as a part of this year’s Women’s History Month Celebration. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The Hastings College Theatre Department will present a series of student directed one-acts as a part of the 2011 Capstone Production from March 10 – 13 in the Scott Studio Theatre. For more information on tickets and show times, visit the Hastings College Theatre Website.
- Tom Kreager, professor of art, will give the Artist Lecture Series Invited Faculty Lecture in the French Memorial Chapel on Friday, March 11 at 10:00 a.m. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The Department of Music will host its Spring Vespers concert at First Presbyterian Church in Hastings on Sunday, March 13 at 5:00 p.m. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The Forensics Team will host a Forensics Showcase in the Hazelrigg Student Union on Sunday, March 27 at 3:00 p.m. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The women’s music fraternity Sigma Alpha Iota will host a special Women’s History Month concert in Perkins Auditorium on Monday, March 28 at 7:30 p.m. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The Department of Music will host the Hastings College Band Concert at the Hastings Masonic Center on Sunday, April 3 at 3:00 p.m. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- Hastings College athletics will participate in numerous events throughout the month of March. To see a full schedule of events, visit the Hastings College Athletics Website.
- To see a full calendar of upcoming Hastings College events, visit the Hastings College Online Calendar.
More to Come
This eNewsletter will be sent periodically throughout the year with up-to-date news for our alumni. To update your email address, log on to the online alumni community.