A Match Made at HC
For many Hastings College Alumni, the four years spent on campus provided more than an education; it was also a chance to find the love of a lifetime. This February, the Hastings College Alumni Association celebrates its nearly 2,500 living alumni who have married other alumni by inviting them to share their love stories. Did you steal that first kiss from your sweetheart on the steps of Taylor Hall? Did you first spot that special someone during a class in McCormick Hall? Whatever your story, the Alumni Association wants to share it with your fellow alumni. To submit your story and any photos of you and your HC Sweetheart, email firstname.lastname@example.org. We also invite you to share your story on the Hastings College Facebook Fan Page. Happy Valentine’s Day from Hastings College!
Giving to HC is Easy as T-E-X-T
Making a gift to Hastings College has never been easier. Simply text the word “BRONCOS” to 52000 to make a $10 gift to Hastings College – it is just that simple! After sending the text message, you will receive a message back, asking you to confirm your gift.With your response, a $10 contribution will be charged on your next cell phone bill. Of course, you can also continue to support Hastings College and its students through traditional means such as mailing your gift to the Hastings College Foundation (11422 Miracle Hills Drive, Suite 550, Omaha, NE 68154) or make your gift online!
Going Green to Save Green
Have you ever wondered how you can make your investment in Hastings College go even further? By opting to have Hastings College send your tax receipt via email, rather than through the U.S. Postal Service, the College will be able to reallocate the portion of your gift that is typically spent on postage and printing costs toward more beneficial uses, such as supporting student scholarships and programming. During the past six months, over 500 alumni and friends have signed up to join Hastings College in its efforts to be a good environmental steward while ensuring that the charitable contributions it receives are used to their greatest capacity. If you would like to help Hastings College go green to save green, email email@example.com or simply indicate on your next contribution that you prefer to receive your gift acknowledgment via email.
Focus on Endowed Scholarships
Established to honor the late Kevin Heineman ’80, the Kevin Heineman Memorial Scholarship is awarded annually to a student who is participating in forensics. As director of forensics at Hastings College, Kevin and his teams set a level of excellence that continues to this day. Under his direction, the Hastings College Forensics Team won the Nebraska Intercollegiate Forensics Association state championship seven of eight years and was also ranked first in the nation in the small college division of the Intercollegiate Speech Tournament Rating System. In the open division, which included all 735 colleges and universities nationwide with forensics programs, Hastings College ranked seventh. After waiting two years for a liver transplant, Heineman died in 1995 at the age of 37. The 2010/11 recipient of the Kevin Heineman Memorial Scholarship is Michael Dvorak ’12. Michael is involved in forensics, earning several top-five finishes in various categories, and is an active volunteer for Head Start, teaching English as a second language. When asked about what it means to receive this award, Michael offered his thanks and stated, “Receiving the financial aid that I have has made it possible for me to finish my education at Hastings College.” If you would like to contribute to the Kevin Heinemann Memorial Scholarship or any scholarship fund, you can do so at www.hastings.edu/give.
The Ringland Society - Your Questions Answered
The Hastings College Ringland Society is a special group of alumni and friends who have chosen to leave a permanent legacy to Hastings College. Over the next several months, this eNewsletter will feature a series of articles that answer some of the most common questions the College receives about the Ringland Society. If you have suggestions for future questions to be answered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also read more about planned giving at the Hastings College Planned Giving website.
| ||Who is eligible to become a member of the Ringland Society ?|
| ||One common misconception about the Ringland Society is that only donors that are nearing or have already retired can become members of the Ringland Society. The truth is anybody at any age can join the Ringland Society! Currently, members range in age from their mid-20s to those well into their 80s and beyond. In order to join the Ringland Society you can create a permanent endowed fund at Hastings College, enter into an irrevocable life income charitable gift or make Hastings College a beneficiary of a life insurance policy. It is that easy to join! If you would like to become a member of the Ringland Society, please contact Mike Karloff or any member of the Foundation staff at (800) 775-2585. |
- Hastings College will celebrate Black History Month throughout the month of February. Please visit the Hastings College website to see all the events that are happening.
- The Department of Music will host the High School Honor Band, Choir and Orchestra Festival on the weekend of February 3-5. The Festival will conclude with a mass concert at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 5 in the Kiewit Gym. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The Hastings College Alumni Association will host a Wichita Area Luncheon at the Crestview Country Club in Wichita on Sunday, February 6.. There will be a gathering beginning at 12:30 p.m., with lunch served at 1:00. Click here for more information. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The Department of Music will host a faculty recital of “Classic Jazz” at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, February 15 in Perkins Auditorium. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- Hastings College Forensics will host the Nebraska Intercollegiate Forensics Association State Tournament on Campus on February 18 and 19. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- Trustees Cal Johnson and Bill Marshall and the Hastings College Alumni Association will host a Scottsdale, Arizona Area Reception at The Country Club at DC Ranch in Scottsdale. The event will be Thursday, March 10 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Click here for more information. (Add to Outlook Calendar)
- The Hastings College Alumni Association will host a number of events in the Southern California area on March 12 and 13. More information will be available soon and will be posted at www.hastings.edu/alumnievents.
- Hastings College athletics will participate in numerous events throughout the month of February. To see a full schedule of events, visit the Hastings College Athletic Website.
- To see a full calendar of upcoming Hastings College events, visit the Hastings College Online Calendar.
More to Come
This eNewsletter will be sent periodically throughout the year with up-to-date news for our alumni. To update your email address, log on to the online alumni community.