A Year for the Record Books
The school year at Hastings College has kicked off at a record-setting pace with 1,212 students enrolled this fall. The official count, released on October 1, 2010, represents all full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in classes during the fall semester and is the largest enrollment ever in the College’s 128-year history. This year’s student body represents 26 states and eight countries with 68% of students from Nebraska and 21% from Colorado. If you know a student who would be a good fit for Hastings College, please contact our admissions office by clicking here or complete an online student referral form by clicking here.
Buy a Yard of Lloyd Wilson Field
Hastings College invites its alumni and friends to take part in a unique opportunity – owning a square yard of Lloyd Wilson Field. Constructed in 2000, Lloyd Wilson Field has become one of the premier sports venues in central Nebraska, hosting numerous local sporting and community events in addition to being the home field for the Hastings College football, men’s and women’s soccer programs and the Hastings College Marching Band. Having now reached the end of its ten-year life span, the FieldTurf at the stadium must be replaced at the end of this season to ensure the safety of the College’s student-athletes. For a gift of $100, you can purchase a square yard of the new FieldTurf, helping Hastings College continue to provide some of the best educational and athletic facilities in the country. To read more about this project, click here. To make a gift to this project, click here.
Hastings Welcomes New Hall of Famers
The Hastings College Alumni Association and Athletic Department hosted the 23rd Annual Hastings College Athletic Hall of Fame Ceremony on October 9 in Hastings. Established in 1989, the Athletic Hall of Fame honors and preserves the memory of athletes, teams, coaches and individuals who have contributed meritorious service to Hastings College and its athletic programs. This year’s individual inductees were Elizabeth Herbek ’03, Tony Hobson ’81, Carrie Hofstetter ’04 and Mary (Stuehm) Johnson ’02. Also inducted were the 2001/02 and the 2002/03 NAIA Women’s National Championship basketball teams. In addition to being inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame, Tony Hobson received the 2010 Alumni Coach of the Year award. More.
Encouraging Service – The Don Mason Scholarship
During his time at Hastings College and throughout his life, Don Mason ’65 led a life marked with numerous selfless acts of service to others. Sadly, Don’s life came to a premature end as the result of a hiking accident in summer 2009. To preserve the memory of Don and honor his spirit of service to others, friends, family and classmates have come together to establish the Donald E. Mason Memorial Scholarship Fund. This scholarship is to be given to Hastings College students with high academic standing and those that are involved in service to others, much like Don when he was a student. Established in July 2010, the Donald E. Mason Memorial Scholarship Fund has seen a tremendous outpouring of support with more than 80 individual gifts and pledges of over $21,000. If you would like to make a gift to the Donald E. Mason Memorial Scholarship Fund, click here. If you would like to learn more about establishing your own scholarship fund, click here.
Broncos Go Green with Bronco Bikes
Getting around the Hastings College campus has gotten a little healthier and more environmentally friendly this fall thanks to Bronco Bikes. An idea implemented by the Student Association and the Student Environmental Action Coalition, Bronco Bikes provides a quick and easy way for students to travel from class to class without the use of a car. Students are encouraged to use one of the 21 designated Bronco Bikes whenever they need one, free of charge. Student organizers hope the program will encourage Hastings College students to consider alternatives to driving a car across campus. As the program grows, plans are to have more than 40 bikes on campus, with multiple bikes in each rack, for students to access. If you are interested in supporting the Bronco Bikes program, contact Mike Karloff at (800) 775-2585 or email@example.com.
- National Geographic Photographer Sam Abell will present a keynote address on November 2 at 7:00 p.m. in French Memorial Chapel. (Add to Outlook calendar)
- The Hastings College Alumni Association and College Trustees Kim Dinsdale and William Marshall, III, will host a Grand Island Area Social on Thursday, November 4 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. at Riverside Golf Club. To RSVP or for more information, click here. (Add to Outlook calendar)
- Michael Opoku will present a lecture on Ashanti African Music at 12:45 p.m. on Tuesday, November 9 in Perkins Auditorium. (Add to Outlook calendar)
- Retired U.S. Air Force Colonel Thomas Kirk will present a lecture on his life experiences, patriotism, wisdom and more at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 11 in French Memorial Chapel. (Add to Outlook calendar)
- The Hastings College Department of Theatre Arts and Alpha Psi Omega theatre honorary will present “A Toby Show” for this year’s annual Children’s Production. Show times are Friday, November 12 at 7:00 p.m., Saturday, November 13 at 1:00 and 7:00 p.m., and Sunday, November 14 at 1:00 p.m. Tickets are $5.00 and can be purchased through the box office by calling (402) 461-7380 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Add to Outlook calendar)
- The Hastings College Department of Music will host a student recital featuring the Jazz Ensemble and Vocal Spectrum on Tuesday, November 16 at 7:30 p.m. in French Memorial Chapel. (Add to Outlook calendar)
- Hastings College will host The Lighting of the Campus on Tuesday, November 30 at 7:00 p.m. in French Memorial Chapel (Add to Outlook calendar)
- The Hastings College Department of Music will host a faculty recital featuring the Classic Jazz Quartet on Tuesday, November 30 at 7:30 p.m. in Perkins Auditorium. (Add to Outlook calendar)
- Hastings College athletics will be participating in numerous events throughout the month of October. To see a full schedule of events, visit the Hastings College Athletic Website.
- To see a full calendar of upcoming Hastings College events, visit the Hastings College Online Calendar.
More to Come
This eNewsletter will be sent periodically throughout the year with up-to-date news for our alumni. To update your email address, log on to the online alumni community.