Hastings College Homecoming/Family Weekend
Mark your calendar for Homecoming/Family Weekend, October 8-10, 2010. This weekend is one of the most exciting and well-attended events at HC, and all alumni are invited to attend. To learn more about the planned events or to RSVP for the weekend, visit the Homecoming webpage.
HC Presidential Search Update
The search for Hastings College’s fifteenth president is well under way. This past month, the Presidential Search Committee met to review and approve the search timeline and to finalize the search profile. Based on the recommendations of the committee, candidate applications will be reviewed throughout the fall months and the search will be concluded by early in the spring semester, 2011. The start date of the new president will be July 1, 2011. Another significant milestone was reached with the completion of the search profile. This important document was produced after extensive interviews with faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends of the college and lays out the goals and objectives for interested candidates. To view the search profile, click here. These are exciting times in the life of Hastings College, and we look forward to keeping you informed as the search for the next president of Hastings College moves forward.
Center for Vocation, Faith and Service
For the past eight years, the Hastings College Vocation and Values program encouraged students to think deeply about the ethical and spiritual dimensions of their life’s work, and to consider careers in service and in ministry among Great Plains churches. During this period, the Vocation and Values program was generously funded through grants from the Lilly Endowment, Inc., and other donors and friends. The successful completion of Lilly Endowment grant support, effective at the end of this calendar year, has brought about the program’s transition to a permanent, new center on the Hastings College campus. “Hastings College has committed to supporting reflective service and Christian Ministry among its students,” said Dr. Carter Aikin, director of the Center for Vocation, Faith and Service. “We will continue to offer many of the vital programs we have always had. Thanks to the support of faithful congregations, generous donors, strong commitment from HC administration, and God’s grace, we are deeply grateful to have the chance to continue this fine work.” To learn more about the Center for Vocation, Faith and Service, click here. If you are interested in supporting the Center for Vocation, Faith and Serivce, click here to make a gift online.
Joining the Ringland Society
Each year, Hastings College is indebted to the thousands of alumni and friends of Hastings College who support the College with their annual charitable giving. These gifts play an important role in allowing Hastings College to continue offering one of the best liberal arts educations in the country. Another important way donors support Hastings College is by becoming a member of The Ringland Society. This society is a special group of friends who have:
- Created a permanent endowment fund
- Entered into an irrevocable life income charitable gift, or
- Made Hastings College a beneficiary of their estate
No matter what stage of life you are in, there are many financial strategies and gift arrangements available to you to join the hundreds of others who have left a legacy at Hastings College by joining the Ringland Society. To learn more about ways in which you can join the Ringland Society, visit the Hastings College Planned Giving Website or contact Mike Karloff at (800) 775-2585.
A Look Back at Hastings College
During Homecoming and Family Weekend 2010, the Hastings College Department of Music will present the 59th Annual Melody Round-Up Parade in downtown Hastings. Started in 1951 through a collaboration between Hastings College and the Hastings Chamber of Commerce, the Melody Round-Up Parade invited high school bands from Nebraska and Kansas to show off their marching abilities in downtown Hastings. Each year, between 36 and 50 bands were invited, totaling some 1,800 high school players. The parade, which took place during the afternoon, was followed by an hour-long mass band concert on the football field prior to that evening’s football game. While the traditions have changed over the past 59 years, the Melody Round-Up Parade remains one of the most eagerly anticipated events in the Hastings community. This year’s Melody Round-Up Parade will feature 21 bands and numerous floats designed by campus organizations at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 9.
- Dr. Robert Amyot, Assistant Professor of Political Science, will present the ALS Invited Faculty Lecture at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, October 8, in French Memorial Chapel.
- The Hastings College Athletic Hall of Fame Banquet and Induction Ceremony will be Saturday, October 9, at the Quality Hotel and Convention Center. For more information and to RSVP for this event, click here.
- The Hastings College Department of Music will present its “Autumn Vespers” at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 10, at First Presbyterian Church (621 North Lincoln Avenue). The concert is free and open to the public.
- The Hastings College Alumni Association invites all alumni to attend the Hastings College Night at James Arthur Vineyard, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 14, in Raymond, Nebraska. For more information and to RSVP for this event, click here.
- The Hastings College Alumni Association and Dr. Phil Dudley, President of Hastings College, invite alumni and friends of the college to the Dudley Farewell Tour Event in North Platte. Join us at 5:30 p.m. at the Canteen Grille in North Platte on Sunday, October 17, for this special dinner and campus update. For more information or to RSVP, click here.
- The Many Moccasins Dance Troupe, (A Lied Across Nebraska Outreach Program), will perform at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 26, in French Memorial Chapel.
- Hastings College athletics will be participating in numerous events throughout the month of October. To see a full schedule of events, visit the Hastings College Athletic Website.
- To see a full calendar of upcoming Hastings College events, visit the Hastings College Online Calendar.
More to Come
This eNewsletter will be sent periodically throught the year with up-to-date news for our alumni. To update your email address, log-on to the Online Alumni Community.