New Year Underway at Hastings College
Hastings College officially welcomed 374 new students to campus during the New Student Days weekend, August 27-29. These newest members of the Hastings College family come from varying backgrounds and will be a great addition to Hastings College. During the weekend’s activities, all incoming first-year students met new friends and professors, finalized fall class schedules, and along with many returning students, participated in service projects around the community. A first day count of students shows 1,150 undergraduates, up from last year’s total of 1,114. The official enrollment count will be released in October. The Alumni Association welcomes all students back to campus and looks forward to another great year at Hastings College!
Hastings College Homecoming/Family Weekend
Mark your calendar for Homecoming/Family Weekend, October 8-10, 2010. This weekend is one of the most exciting and well-attended events at HC, and all alumni are invited home to attend the events scheduled. To learn more about the planned events or to RSVP for the weekend, visit the Homecoming webpage.
Supporting Students Through Phonathon
As a new school year begins at Hastings College, many new and returning students are able to experience Hastings College thanks to our many faithful alumni donors. With 98% of the student body eligible to receive financial aid, your monetary support plays an important role in keeping these students at Hastings College. In today’s economic environment, the current generation of Hastings College students faces extraordinary financial challenges in a time of job scarcity and limited availability of credit and scholarship aid. With this in mind, Hastings College remains strongly committed to providing financial assistance to its students. During the month of September, Hastings College students will be calling alumni to renew their annual gift to the Hastings College Scholarship Fund. Through your generosity, you will provide current students the opportunity to obtain a life-changing liberal arts education, much like the one you received from Hastings College. If you know you will be away from home or would like to save the College the cost of a phone call, you can support current students by making your gift online. Thank you for your ongoing support!
What Your Alumni Association Can Do For You
Whether you live in Hastings, New York, Tokyo, Seattle or in some other corner of the globe, the Hastings College Alumni Association is here to serve you! As a Hastings College graduate, the Alumni Association provides many valuabe resources. Whether you are looking to connect with a former classmate or professor, seeking assistance from the career services office, wanting to host a reunion or are looking to get a tour of campus to see what has changed since you last visited, the Hastings College Alumni Association is happy to assist you. To see some of the services available to you, visit the Alumni Services webpage or contact the Barrett Alumni Center at (800) 775-2585 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Your Crimson Connection Membership Today
| ||A Crimson Connection membership is your ticket to a full year of Hastings College events! For only $55, you and your family can attend the many athletic and cultural events hosted by Hastings College. In addition to regularly scheduled events, members are invited to pre-game barbeques, a soup supper, a children’s theatre performance and a holiday reception. To find out more, or to sign up for a Crimson Connection membership, visit the Crimson Connection webpage. |
Students Rate Hastings College Among the Best
Have you ever wondered how Hastings College measures up with other schools across the country? Each year, Hastings College gives its students the opportunity to share their thoughts on the quality of the educational experience they receive and year after year, the results are outstanding. This past year, Hastings College conducted its annual Noel-Levitz Student Satisfaction Inventory (SSI), a survey that identifies what issues are most important to Hastings College students and measures how well the college meets those expectations. This past year, compared to a national group of private, four-year colleges and universities, Hastings has received some of the highest ratings ever seen in the SSI, with students expressing greater satisfaction than the national comparison group on all 73 items. Some of the areas Hastings students ranked the most important (and Hastings did great on them all) are:
- The instruction in my major field is excellent.
- My academic advisor is approachable.
- The quality of instruction I receive in my classes is excellent.
- Tuition paid is a worthwhile investment.
- It is an enjoyable experience to be a student on this campus.
- There is a commitment to academic excellence on this campus.
To read more about the SSI visit the Hastings College website.
- Hastings College PHIVE-O will be sponsoring the AIDS Walk at 1:00 p.m. on September 12, starting at the Hazelrigg Student Union. Contact the Stone Health Center at (402) 461-7372 for more information.
- Deb Johnson ’77, Assistant Professor of Music, will perform a faculty recital at 3:00 p.m. on September 12 in Perkins Auditorium.
- Ambika Jayaram will present a lecture on the Music of Southern India at 12:45 p.m. on September 16 in Perkins Auditorium.
- The Hastings Symphony Orchestra will perform a concert at 3:00 p.m. on September 19 at the Chautauqua Pavilion.
- The Center for Vocation, Faith and Service will host a variety of events throughout the week of September 20. Visit the Center for Vocation, Faith and Service website for more information.
- The Department of Music will host a Guest Recital/Lecture on Music of Shakespeare’s Plays, at 12:00 noon on September 23 in Perkins Auditorium.
- The Hastings College Alumni Association will be holding its eighth annual Legacy Weekend, September 24 and 25. This year’s Legacy Weekend honored alumni group is the Kappa Tau Phi fraternity. For more information or to RSVP for the Legacy Weekend activities, click here.
- Hastings College Athletics will be participating in numerous events throughout the month of September. To see a full schedule, visit the Hastings College Athletics website.
- To see a full calendar of upcoming Hastings College events, visit the Hastings College Online Calendar.
More to Come
This eNewsletter will be sent periodically throughout the year with up-to-date news for our alumni. To update your email address, log-on to the online alumni community.