Academic Showcase 2015
"Explore your inner scholar."
How do you even do that?
During Academic Showcase, students enjoy and learn from fascinating research presentations by their peers. In fact, classes are cancelled for the day-long celebration of academic success to encourage participation!
In 2015, festivities kick off on Monday, April 20 as students discuss their study abroad experiences and unique internships. Presentations continue on Tuesday, April 21 (see below). All activities are open to the public, and time is available to ask questions.
Check out our campus map for building locations and parking.
Monday, April 20
Travel & Experiential Presentations – Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Forging Global Alliances: Practicing Diplomacy at National Model United Nations - Sarah Easter, Tonette Gonzales-Hunter, Joey Kemler, Rachel Lee, Mirae Nakouzi, Makayla Wendland - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Aspiring Women in Agriculture -Brooke Ballou and Haley Geber - Location: Daugherty Center
- Machu Picchu Politics: The Paradoxical Use of an Oppressed Culture as a Marketing Image - Nicole Delphia - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Medical Physics: Cancer Treatments of the Future - Morgan Killefer - Location: Daugherty Center
- When Cultures Collide: Foreigners in Russia - Jordan Colony - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Passport Immersion: Cambodia - Molly Hoff - Location: Daugherty Center
- Push: My Experience Making Movies - Matthew Brooks - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Art and Science - Kirsten Berns, Vanessa Cox, Kasey Lammers, Maria Lara - Location: Daugherty Center
- Showing of Matt Brooks’ short film Push - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Art and Science artwork exhibit (also available for viewing during presentations Tuesday) - Location: Daugherty Center
Tuesday, April 21
9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. – Poster Presentations on display – Hazelrigg Student Union Lounge
- Antimicrobial Effectiveness of Household Spices - Brooke Snyder, Rachel Miller, Molly Messersmith
- Developing a Microchip Electrophoresis Method Using HKGreen-3 to Determine the Concentration of Peroxynitrite in Macrophage Cells - Paige Skillett
- Effects of Estrogen on Glutamate Receptor Expression in Cultured Astrocytes - Haley Sandoe
- Evaluation of the Effect on Hand Micro Biomes after Periodic Exposure to Alcohol-based Hand Rub - Brooke Snyder
- Regulation of Catalases by OxyR in Pseudomonas syringae - Christina Zarek
- The Role of Mobile Protons in Collision-Induced Dissociation of a Model Glycopeptide - Heidi Roth
Note: Poster presenters will be available to discuss posters and answer questions from 12:45-1:30 p.m.
9:00-9:30 am – Oral Presentations Session I
- “Live or Die, Make Your Choice”: Finding Post 9/11 ‘Spectacle Horror’ in James Wan’s Saw (2004) - Trina Knight - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Love/Hate: The Role of Cultivation Theory and Gang Violence in Ireland - Hayley Buckman - Location: Daugherty Center
9:45-10:15 a.m. – Oral Presentations Session II
- A League of Their Own: Using Mathematics to Analyze ‘League of Legends’ Gameplay - Becca Brandt - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- The Irish Harp – Maggie Johnson - Location: Daugherty Center
10:30-11:00 a.m. – Oral Presentations Session III
- Does Type of Activity Impact the Positive Effect of Nature on 5th-Grade Students’ Attention and Mood? - Melissa Burke, Jocelyn Delgado, Mirae Nakouzi, Madeleine Sharp - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- The Music of Agatha Christie's Mystery Novels – Sarah Wolf - Location: Daugherty Center
11:15-11:45 a.m.– Oral Presentations Session IV
- Shrinking Women – Eunice Adounkpe - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- E-books or Print: Which will triumph? - Jennifer Zarek - Location: Daugherty Center
12:45-1:30 p.m. – Oral Presentations Session V
- Stories We Remember: The History behind the Wild West Legends of a Front Range County - Laurel Teal - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Sexual consent in popular media: A content analysis of "How I Met Your Mother" - Katherine Amyot - Location: Daugherty Center
1:45-2:15 p.m. – Oral Presentations Session VI
- Voices: Concepts of National Identity in the North Caucasus - Ian Tuttle - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Joining the Boys Only Club: Negotiating Gender Differences in Male-Dominated Cultures - Sierra Walker - Location: Daugherty Center
2:30-3:00 p.m. – Oral Presentations Session VII
- Charismatic Leadership: One Style Does Not Fit All - Logan Ellis - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- Understanding the Disconnect between Online and Offline Activism - Jess Ayres - Location: Daugherty Center
3:15-4:00 p.m. – Oral Presentations Session VIII
- The Relationship between Tune Deafness and Empathy - Jessie Drelicharz, Theresa Droege, Hannah McCorkindale - Location: Wilson Auditorium
- HCEV: The Creation of an Electric Vehicle - Michael O’Neal - Location: Daugherty Center (Vehicle on Display behind Daugherty Center)
Sponsored by Alpha Chi and the Academic Showcase Committee.